To keep your body fit and healthy, it is not just enough to consume healthy foods and beverages. Bowel movements need to be regular. However, for a section of people that remains easier said than done. A significant part of the human population suffers from irregular bowel movement and constipation from time to time. While it may not lead to serious health complications, the discomfort can be annoying enough for anyone.
What Leads To Constipation
As it is, constipation can be triggered by a number of factors. The main reasons are:
- Inadequate intake of water and fluids.
- Regular use of laxatives
- Low intake of dietary fibre
- Use of certain medications that make colon muscles stiff
Treatment Options For Constipation
A majority of women and men suffering from constipation resorts to the quick fix solutions, which are OTC medications. However, it would be much better to use herbal remedies to treat this condition. One potent option is Aloe vera.
Why Opt For Aloe Vera To Treat Constipation
Aloe Vera is used for various skin healing purposes and it has proven anti fungal properties. The gel extracted from aloe vera leaves can also be used as a laxative. The plant extract helps cleanse the intestinal tract and this helps in easy bowel movements to a great extent. It stimulates the human digestive glands to perform optimally, thus aiding in digestion. It also helps balance level of healthy bacteria in the guts, studies have shown.
Ways To Use Aloe Vera To Get Rid of Constipation
To find relief from irregular bowel movement and resultant constipation, you need to use aloe vera in the recommended way.
- When facing constipation, consume aloe vera juice or extract for 5 days and then do not use it for 2 days.
- There is no mandatory rule to buy aloe vera juice from the market. If you have the aloe vera plant in your backyard or garden, boil the leaves on low heat and let the water thicken. Filter this juice before drinking. You may pour in a small amount of fruit juice in it.
- Aloe vera gel can also be taken for relief from constipation. However, you may prefer to mix it with apple juice to add to the taste. You may take 2 spoonful of gel a day.
- For optimum results, buy aloe vera juice that also has some amount of pulp in it.
- If you do not like the idea of using aloe vera in gel or liquid form, it is also fine to use dried leaves in powder form. You can find aloe vera in powdered form in plenty of health stores.
Things To Consider
While taking aloe vera in various forms can help you overcome constipation, it is also necessary to make some lifestyle and dietary changes. You need to intake more dietary fibre in the meals, to begin with. It is also important that you drink plenty of water and fruit juices. Lack of fluid intake is the main cause behind irregular bowel movements. Resorting to regular exercise is also advisable.
The benefits of aloe vera for treating constipation notwithstanding, you need to be careful about the frequency of in taking the juice. If you take this juice continuously for over two weeks, some complications may set in. One side effect is possible loss of electrolytes. Women who have just conceived may avoid consuming the juice. Lactating mothers should also avoid taking the juice and consult the doctor.
Some people may face a cramping feeling after in taking aloe Vera juice or gel orally. To counter this, the gel or juice should be mixed with turmeric.
Consuming aloe vera juice, is not just an economical way to ease constipation, but is also a safe and all natural remedy that does work. The next time you feel constipated, gulp down some of this magic portion, and let it do its wonders!