Statistics reveal that one in every six couples are infertile, and around 40% of them are unable to conceive due to male infertility. Surprisingly, a few simple changes to the diet is all one needs to do to boost his fertility and dramatically improve his chances of having a successful pregnancy.Many studies have revealed that walnuts could help boost male fertility- but is it really true? Keep reading to find out.
Walnuts and Sperm Quality
Many reproductive experts claim that the consumption of two handfuls of walnuts a day (in men) is enough to keep the fertility expert away. Now, that may sound too good to be true, but the fact is, that there are many studies to support it.It has been found that walnuts, in general, improve sperm health and motility, and also maintain their shape, size and swimming ability, all of which are important factors when it comes to boosting the chances of a pregnancy.
What Studies have to Say
If you’re one of the sceptics, and like to get your facts straight, there are not one, but many different studies that confirm the fact that walnuts could be extremely helpful in boosting fertility in men.A study published on August 15. 2012 in the journal Biology of Reproduction’s papers in press claims that the consumption of just 75 grams of walnuts a day could improve vitality, morphology and motility of sperms in men between the age of 21 to 35 years. It was also found that individuals who consumed more walnuts had fewer chromosomal abnormalities in their sperm, and were found to have better sperm quality in general.
It is believed that walnuts are a rich source of alpha linolenic acid and omega 3 fatty acids, which are important and are needed to maintain sperm and reproductive health. These fats play a vital role in sperm maturation and the function of its membranes.
What’s more, the researchers also found that lesser number of walnut eaters suffered from aneuploidy- a condition characterized by the sperm having too few or too many chromosomes.
Tips to Include Walnut in your Meals
The best part about using walnuts to improve your sperm health and raise your risk of conceiving is the fact that you don’t have to put a lot of effort into it. Walnuts are quite versatile- you could add them to almost any food preparations you like, and get the benefits out of them.
Keep reading to know more about some simple ways you could include more of walnuts in your daily diet.
- Add it to your desserts- walnuts can be easily added to most desserts and sweet preparations.
- You can sprinkle some roughly chopped walnuts over the icing of your cake or even on your tub of ice-cream.
- If you don’t really like the taste of walnuts, you could try sneaking it in your food preparations in different ways- add it to your homemade pasta sauce or grind it into a smooth paste and mix it in your soups.
- Walnuts also add a great crunch to your homemade meat patties and burgers.
- If you like baking your bread at home, consider adding some chopped walnuts to the dough too!
- You could also add some chopped walnut to your glass of orange juice in the morning for a power packed drink.
- Walnuts taste best with chocolate, so if you’re making a batch of homemade cookies or chocolate or muffins, make sure you include this wonder nut too.
- Walnuts can also be added to smoothies and other protein shakes and drinks.
- Undoubtedly, the best benefits of consumption of walnuts are obtained only after you consume them raw- in their purest form.
- That way, you’ll get a good dose of flavonoids, tannins and phenolic acids and other vital nutrients that are present in walnuts.
Apart from boosting fertility in men, walnuts are also known to boost brain function and improve heart health thanks to its content of monounsaturated fatty acids and omega 3 fatty acids. Combined with a great taste and skin boosting properties, walnuts make for one of the best and must have foods in your diet.