Healthy living is not just about the absence of illness in the body, it is also about the body’s ability to function to its best potential. Thus, whatever activity that is engaged in to improve one’s physical ability and wellbeing, is an activity that should be encouraged.
There are many such activities that fall into this category and are collectively referred to as physical exercises. The various activities that make up physical exercises generally require some sort of physical exertion.
Some might even be considered too strenuous. But they can be done. And it is by understanding and practicing the techniques that are involved that you can get to do it too.
This is an activity that involves keeping the body stable, in an upside down position and with the weight of the whole body balanced on one’s hands. This particular activity has different variations and ways in which it can be done, and is quite popular in different sports. The key thing about it is for the performer to have upper body strength and the necessary balance. You can read more here.
Various sporting and athletic activities require some form of the handstand or the other. Some of the examples of these activities include gymnastics, cheerleading, acro dance, yoga, circus, and calisthenics. Also, if you’re a lover or follower of the breakdance/break-dancers, you probably know this is a big part of the stunts done while dancing.
Benefits of the Handstand
Now, some of you might be saying, well, I’m not into these sporting or athletic activities neither do I like breakdancing so, what does all this have to do with me? Well, it has a lot to do with you for sure as you stand to benefit from doing it. Some of its benefits include the following:
- It helps you to engage and build on your core strength such that you gain mastery of it over time with diligent practice.
- Doing this exercise, you are able to build your upper body strength thereby, strengthening the muscles of your arms, shoulders, and upper body regions.
- Regularly doing this exercise helps stimulate the endocrine system which consists of all your body hormones that help to regulate different body activities e.g. sleep, sex, mood, etc.
- Aside from the fact that exercises are generally good for your body, handstands particularly help to reduce stress. This is because, with increased blood flow in your head, there is a decrease in the production of cortisol which is the stress hormone.
- During this exercise, and any exercise really, your brain increases the production of endorphins which, in simple terms can be referred to as the happiness hormone.
- It improves the health and strength of your bones. This is because, as a weight bearing exercise, it makes your bones to gather and create more bone mass, making it stronger.
How to Learn and Practice the Handstand
The key thing to note here is that practicing the right routines is actually what helps you to become good at doing a handstand. Any other activity might just be a waste of time.
The following are some of the practical steps that you could follow:
Build Specific Strength
Specific strength here means the necessary muscles that get called to action when embarking on this exercise. This is a gradual process, you don’t just rush into this activity, you could end up injuring yourself.
You will also have to work on your flexibility. This is so as to be able to achieve a proper body alignment especially as it has to do with the flexibility and strength in your neck and shoulders.
Master How to Balance
This basically is about your ability to hold and maintain your stance or position when you handstand. Now there is a technique for everything and when your body is properly aligned, it makes achieving this balance easier for you.
There are some other steps and practices that you will have to adopt for your personal practice sessions. You can visit https://www.howtohandstand.com to find out some more about these techniques and steps.
Exercising your body is undeniably a way to keep your body healthy and physically fit. The handstand and all the techniques and routines involved in its performance is a great exercise routine with its own health benefits.
However, the benefits without just punishing or injuring yourself can only be gotten if it is done the right way which this article strives to show you.