Got a little baby? Hate using use-and-throw diapers that end up causing rashes on your baby’s delicate skin? Cloth diapers are not just baby-friendly, but quite convenient as well.
There are, however, certain essential steps you must keep in mind while using a cloth diaper and washing it. Keep reading to know more about some simple steps to follow while washing cloth diapers.
The Best Way to Wash Cloth Diapers
There is no one-size-fits-all method to wash cloth diapers- every individual prefers a different technique or system that fits their routine, and it will work the same for you- you just need to find out what’s right for you. However, you need to keep certain basic aspects in mind while washing cloth diapers, since your baby’s fragile skin and health is at stake.
The first step when it comes to washing cloth diapers is to prep it- and here’s how to do it.
Prepping Cloth Diapers
Before actually washing the cloth diaper, here are the first few steps you need to follow to get the thing ready for washing.
- Remove all the poop and soiling from the cloth diaper by washing it once with water. This is to make sure that the actual ‘wash’ isn’t full of soiling.
- You can also choose to soak stained diapers for some hours before you actually wash it. This way, you’ll need to put in less effort into scrubbing to get the stains out.
- You can also choose to create a wet pail to put in all the dirty cloth diapers. A wet pail is nothing but half a bucket full of water with some baking soda (to fight the odour).
Tips to Wash Cloth Diapers
Here is the basic outline of all the washing routines for cloth diapers. Following this will ensure that the cloth diaper is cleaned properly and is totally safe for another use for your baby.
- Remove the cloth diapers that have been soaked and have all the soiling and stains removed. Run them through a short stream of warm water.
- Now run the diapers through a hot water wash with some natural detergent or cleaning agent. It is advisable to use organic and natural products for cleaning purposes. Homemade detergents turn out to be best for cleaning baby diapers.
- Rinse the diapers again until all the detergent has been washed off completely. If the stains have still not come out at this point, you may want to go for another detergent wash with hot water followed by a warm water rinse.
- Avoid using too much detergent to get the diaper cleaned fast. Instead, use a manageable quantity and rub the cloth diaper with your fingers or using a hand scrub until the diaper gets cleaned properly.
- Allow the diapers to air-dry.
Important Points to Note
Apart from following these steps, you must also keep these important points in mind to make sure your baby’s cloth diapers are clean and just right for your baby.
- Make use of detergents that are free of any enzymes or artificial fragrances and coloring.
- Stay away from products that contain whitening and brightening agents. Bleach and whitening solutions are a strict no-no- they also cause breakdown of the fibers of the cloth diapers, causing them to deteriorate within just a few washes.
- Antistatic products and fabric softeners also tend to irritate your baby’s skin, and may also make the fabric of the cloth diaper less absorbent.
- Try using vinegar to soften the diapers, especially if you’re using homemade detergent to wash the diapers. Just a cup per bucket of cloth diapers is enough.