Diabetes is the sixth leading cause of death around the world, and is thought to be responsible for many other related health conditions like cardiovascular disease and kidney problems. The worst part is diabetes is incurable- it can only be managed.
Most diabetics find it difficult to live with diabetes- a strict diet is to be followed, and exercise is to be done on a daily basis to keep blood glucose levels in control. However, there is an actual cheat-food that could be of great help for diabetes patients. Keep reading to find out more about it.
Okra- The Low GI Food
GI, short for glycemic index, is the measure of how fast carbohydrates in the food can turn to sugar in the blood. Consumption of low GI foods like okra, on a daily basis, could be extremely helpful for those affected by diabetes. Okra consumption can keep the blood sugar levels from rising too high or going too low, and may also help manage weight.
Okra for Kidney Health
Kidney health is another health concern linked to diabetes. It is believed that frequent fluctuations in blood sugar levels can cause kidney problems, and in contrast, keeping it constant and having a healthy weight can significantly reduce the risk of kidney disease.
This is why, patients affected by diabetes must consider consuming okra regularly to keep kidney disease at bay. It has also been found that diabetics who consumed okra daily had reduced signs of kidney damage as opposed to those who didn’t.
[ Read: How Yoga Can Help Your Diabetes ]
Other Benefits of Okra for Diabetes Patients
Okra has been in use since a long time to manage blood sugar levels. Several recent studies have also demonstrated its efficiency for diabetic patients. It is believed that okra is a good food for diabetics thanks to its soluble fiber content, which can turn out to keep blood glucose levels in check.
Also, it has been found that patients affected by diabetes are at a much higher risk of being affected by heart disease. Diabetic patients who consume more of vegetables including okra have a much lower risk of heart disease than those who don’t, a study has found.
[ Read: How Does Diabetes Affect Fertility ]
Furthermore, okra has several other health benefits associated with its consumption.
- Okra is rich in soluble fiber, which is why, it is the best foods to keep the digestive system healthy.
- Okra is also a good source of folate, which is extremely essential for pregnant women. Folate is known to reduce the risk of neural tube defects in the baby during pregnancy.
- Several studies have also found that okra contains good amounts of vitamin K, which plays an important role in blood clotting and strengthens the bones of the body.
- Individuals diagnosed with asthma can also benefit by consuming okra frequently.
- Okra promotes healthy bowel movement due to its fiber content and its mucilaginous gel.
- It is also believed that the consumption of okra could protect one against sun strokes.
- Recent studies have found that okra could play a role in preventing colon and several other related health conditions.
- Regular consumption of okra is also known to prevent obesity.
- Patients affected by heart disease can benefit from the consumption of okra. Okra can reduce the absorption of cholesterol, which triggers many heart diseases and obesity.
- Okra is also a great tonic for the skin and the hair. It is known to help the skin look younger and reduce pigmentation. Application of okra extracts on the scalp could help keep it free from dandruff and skin diseases.
- It is also believed to naturally strengthen immunity and improve eyesight.