It is estimated 8 out of every 10 women experience hormonal imbalance. This imbalance can lead to several health problems, some quite serious. The key symptoms of hormonal imbalance include extreme PMS, energy loss, depression or sadness, feeling overwhelmed, weight gain, uterine fibroids, altered sex drive, skin changes, fatigue, hair loss, growth of facial hair, infections in the urinary tract and frequent diarrhea. A combination of two or more of these symptoms might indicate an imbalance in your hormones.
Thankfully, there is a home remedy that can help your hormone levels return to their normal levels. This remedy involves the use of olive oil.
Olive Oil and Hormonal Balance
Olive oil has numerous health benefits. It is loaded with monounsaturated fatty acids, scientifically referred to as MUFAs. These fatty acids are believed to provide numerous health benefits by replacing saturated, less healthy fats, or trans-fats, found in other cooking oils.
The healthy fats in olive oil aid in the development of healthy and responsive cell membranes. This further allows the hormones to hold on to cells more conveniently, thus maintaining healthy hormonal balance.
Other oils contain animal fats with saturated fatty acids. These fatty acids are responsible for raising cholesterol levels in blood, thus disrupting hormone function. The monounsaturated fats contained in olive oil keep you healthy by reducing levels of harmful low density lipoprotein (LDL) levels. This further helps in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and cholesterol. Adding further, olive oil is also beneficial in maintaining a healthy heart and cardiovascular system.
Foods for Healthy Hormonal Balance
There are certain foods that help in maintaining healthy hormonal balance. Read on for further details.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – These healthy fats are known to aid in the development of healthy cell membranes. Additionally, these healthy fats aid in the maintenance of cellular receptor sites. Consumption of these fatty acids through high quality cooking oils like flaxseed or olive oil helps in maintaining healthy hormonal balance.
- Herbal Supplements – Herbal supplements are known to help a great deal with hormonal imbalance, especially in case of menstrual cramps, PMS and breast pain. There is a wide range of these supplements provided by different companies. These herbal supplements work by balancing deficits or excesses. However, speak to your doctor before you start taking any supplement.
- Vitamin and Mineral Supplements – Incorporating quality supplements as a substitute for essential vitamins and minerals helps in maintaining healthy hormone levels. These supplements should contain Vitamin E, Vitamin C, magnesium, calcium and B complex vitamins. You can consult your doctor and ask him or her to recommend a good supplement.
Tips for Healthy Hormonal Balance
Hormonal imbalance might occur as a result of various reasons, like lack of sleep, stress, unhealthy eating habits and many more. Here are some useful tips to maintain healthy hormonal balance while making olive oil a part of your life.
- Proper Sleep – Improper sleep might cause hormonal imbalance. Healthy sleep of at least 8 hours at night prevents overdrive of hormones and also keeps your adrenal glands working optimally. This, in turn, ensures your hormone levels are right in your body.
- Relieve Stress – It has been proven through scientific studies that women practicing yoga and meditation on a daily basis are less susceptible to hormonal imbalances compared to women who do not practice these stress busting exercises. Furthermore, it is also important to take proper rest. Modern-day women’s hectic schedule at work and home provide little or no time to rest and relax. This disturbs their natural hormone cycle. Therefore, for healthy hormonal balance, it is important to rest and alleviate stress.
- Proper Diet – Having more healthy foods and consuming a balanced diet help to maintain healthy hormone levels in the body. It is recommended to include more organic and fresh fruits and veggies in your diet for optimal hormone balance. Adding plenty of seeds and raw nuts is also helpful to great extent. Additionally, it is also important to avoid or quit consumption of unhealthy foods, like processed carbohydrates, vegetable oil, enriched flour, aerated drinks and soy foods, as these might cause hormonal imbalance.
- Regular Exercise – A healthy and effective exercise regimen followed on a consistent basis helps in maintaining hormonal balance. Try to devote at least half an hour daily for exercise to enjoy best results.
- Avoid Caffeine – Studies have shown that excessive intake of caffeine and similar stimulants can lead to over production of hormones by the adrenal gland. It is, therefore, recommended you cut down the consumption of caffeine for better hormonal health.
Besides the aforementioned tips, incorporate olive oil into your daily diet. This together will help you get your hormones in balance.