Bananas are consumed by people all over the world, round the year and these are among the most popular fruits. While a majority of people eat regular yellow bananas, few are aware of red bananas and their immense nutritional benefits. Inside a red banana, you will find flesh resembling that of yellow banana. However, the taste is a blend of banana and raspberry. They are harvested largely in Costa Rica and Mexico, apart from Australia. In recent times, the fruit is gaining popularity in Asian subcontinent too. The reddish hue is owing to the presence of beta-carotene in the bananas and the flavor is reminiscent of strawberries. These bananas can be smaller in size compared to yellow variants.
Health Benefits of Red Bananas
Red bananas become edible when the fruits turn dark brown and a few brown marks appear on the exterior skin. As the fruit ripens, the aroma becomes strong. However, it is advisable that you eat the bananas before they turn very soft as chance of fermentation is there along with loss of enzymes.
The nutritional benefits of red bananas are:
- Great For Weight Reduction – If you are on a weight loss spree and want to control a rising waistline, including red bananas in your diet is a prudent option! It contains fewer calories than what you will get from popular snacks. So, you can keep a few red bananas in your bag when you go out and they can come in handy to beat hunger pangs. A mid -sized red banana, for example, contains about 90 to 110 calories. You may use the fruits to make smoothies and low calorie sandwiches and salads. The fruit contains almost zero fat and so you will not face the risk of putting on extra layers of flab.
- Good Source of Dietary Fiber – For proper digestion and enhanced metabolism, consumption of foods with dietary fiber is a prerequisite. A red banana contains about 16 percent of dietary fiber required by an adult human. It takes time to be digested and as a result, you remain satiated for a long time. Research has shown consuming fiber rich fruits help you thwart weight gain and lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Source of Beta Carotene – Studies have revealed red bananas are replete with more amounts of beta carotene than other variants and they contain this nutrient much more than other fruits. In the human body, beta carotene gets converted to vitamin A. This vitamin plays a pivotal role behind development of good eyesight and healthy skin. This is actually a powerful strong anti-oxidant that strengthens the human immune system.
- Rich In Potassium – Along with vitamins your body also needs a steady supply of minerals and potassium is among those essential minerals. In one midsized red banana, you get approx 400 milligrams of potassium. Potassium helps the heart function as desired and it also aids in digestion. Studies have shown eating potassium rich foods help lower elevated blood pressure. Besides, potassium also helps the body absorb calcium from foods, the latter being a prerequisite for healthy teeth and bones.
- Good Source of Vitamin B6 – Among the important water-soluble vitamins required by humans, Vitamin B-6 plays an important role behind red blood cell and protein metabolism. It also aids in the functioning of hemoglobin. That’s why people who are prone to anemia should take these fruits.
- Good Source of Vitamin C – If you think only the citrus fruits and berries can offer you good amount of Vitamin C, you are far from the truth. You can easily fulfill a good amount of daily vitamin C requirement by eating red bananas. Its antioxidant properties protect the immune system and vitamin C also boosts collagen production which is good for skin health.
- Mood Booster – While this may sound unusual to some people, the peels of red banana can also be useful. The peels of these fruits are replete with vitamins and fiber and they also contain serotonin. This is a neurotransmitter that helps humans battle depression and acts as a mood booster. You can boil a few banana peels in water and then strain and cool it. Drinking that water with a few drops of honey can give you an instant energy boost.
[ Read: How To Get Instant Energy With Yoga ]