Digestive disorders can prove to be quite annoying for anyone and they may pave way for serious health hazards, at times. One such instance is Duodenitis. It is a digestive disorder which affects the duodenum namely the portion of the small intestine in the human body that is linked to the stomach. This section gets irritated and inflamed when you get afflicted with this condition. It causes discomfort and bleeding and abdominal pain can occur too.
The main causes of Duodenitis
As it is, Duodenitis can be caused by a number of factors. These include:
- Stomach Secretions- For some people, the ailment can be triggered by acidic secretions by the stomach.
- Bacterial infection– In most of the instances, this condition is caused by a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori. It gets into the human body and makes the duodenum a shelter. It causes irritation and inflammation in the area.
- NSAID type Medications– At times, you can develop this digestive ailment owing to usage of specific OTC medications. These can be anti inflammatory medications like acetaminophen, naproxen and aspirin.
Major symptoms of Duodenitis
Unfortunately, a lot of victims of this disorder discover it after a long time of its onset in their body! The symptoms can coincide with symptoms of other digestive ailments or infections as well, making it difficult for diagnosis. An endoscopy is the proper method to detect the ailment. Its major symptoms are:
Treatment options for Duodenitis
The treatment of duodenitis depends mostly on the underlying cause and doctors recommend relevant solutions.
- If it is caused by specific medications, then such drugs should be discontinued to give relief to the affected persons.
- When the ailment is caused by stomach acid secretion, using antacid medications can help.
- At times, quitting habits like smoking can be of use.
- For bacterial infection based duodenitis, using antibiotic is the way out. Antibiotic drugs like Tetracycline and Amoxicillin are usually given by doctors to the afflicted lot. To evade chances of its recurrence, you should adhere to the prescribed antibiotic regimen.
The recovery time is not very long and most patients recover within a fortnight.
Home remedies to treat Duodenitis
While antibiotic medications will help heal the disorder, you can also augment the healing process by using some natural and home based remedies. This basically means you will have to make some changes and additions to your diet. Like other digestive ailments, duodenitis can also be tackled effectively by consuming certain foods and herbs. These are:
- Fiber rich foods– You can eat fruits and foods that contain high amount of fiber to get relief from this disorder. These include carrots, kidney beans, oats, lentils etc.
- Herbal tea– Sipping Dandelion or chamomile tea can also be effective in treating this disorder. You can also use mint tea for benefits.
- Yogurt- You can consume plain yogurt everyday to soothe the pain and irritation caused by duodenitis.
- Vitamin A rich foods– To reduce the risk of recurrence of duodenitis, you can eat vitamin A rich fruits and foods like cabbage, berries and oranges.
- Honey– You can eat organic raw honey to soothe symptoms of this disorder. It has proven antibacterial properties.
- Pomegranate– Drinking pomegranate juice everyday can help you cope with this ailment.
Things you should avoid
To get relief from this disorder, you need to refrain from eating certain foods. For example, you can stop drinking alcoholic beverages. Stop taking spicy and junk foods that can irritate the stomach lining.