The first thing that needs to be made clear is that food allergy is not the same as food’s negative reaction. A food allergy in the real sense occurs when the immune system of a human being and the food that he or she eats do not go hand in hand with each other. Food allergies can at times be very dangerous if they are not diagnosed and treated well in time, as they also involve the risk of death.
Common Food Allergies
Some of the common sources of food allergies can be:
- Shellfishes like lobsters prawns and crabs
- Walnuts and many such nuts
- Fish and eggs
- A major source of food allergies among adults is peanuts
While these were the sources of food allergies among adults, some of them among children can be categorized as:
- soy formula
The toleration of these foods greatly depends upon how sensitive and reactive the person is towards the allergens present in such foods, irrespective of their ages.
Symptoms of Food Allergies
People may react differently to the food allergens. One thing that remains common is that symptoms are revealed only a few hours after the food is consumed.
The most common signs and symptoms of a true food allergy experienced by the patient can be:
- tingling in the mouth
- swelling and redness on the face, neck and other parts of the body
- nasal congestion and breathing problems
- abdominal pain
- nausea, and vomiting
- dizziness and fainting.
If the reactions are even more serious, then its symptoms can be equally dangerous and even life threatening. These include restrictive of passages of air, shock, blood pressure falling too low and pulse rate generally rises. If such symptoms are experienced, immediate medical attention is a must.
Getting Rid of Food Allergies
Some of the measures that are needed to be taken in order to treat allergic patients are:
- Know about your food allergens. You must know about the foods that can cause allergies to you, if you have experienced it before. Learning about such foods and medications for the allergens present in them is a must.
- You must avoid foods that cause allergies to you. Always identify the ingredients that are used in the food to be consumed, and if it contains those elements that can cause allergies to you, then you must avoid those foods. Avoiding allergens is the best way of preventing allergies.
- Always keep your emergency medications handy. If you have suffered a serious allergy before and are at a risk of another allergy, your doctor may provide you with injections of epinephrine, an adrenaline used to treat anaphylaxis. You are advised to carry this with you every time.
- Try other medications. Less severe reactions can be treated with antihistamines. These may come as oral applications or creams, for topical use.
Food allergies are required to be taken immense care of as these can be life threatening too. With proper treatments and medications one can easily get rid of such allergies!