Anyone can get affected by West Nile Virus. It is indeed becoming a problem across the world, with more and more people being diagnosed with this arbovirus. It is spread by mosquito bites and has no allopathic treatment as such. In fact, it affects our body so mildly that we often don’t get to know of the infection until it worsens.
People more than 50 years of age are more likely to get infected by this virus. Most people affected by the virus recover soon with the right treatment, but there are few who get permanent issues like memory loss, seizure and even brain damage. There is no report of any death caused by this virus.
The only way to stay away from it is prevention!
West Nile Virus
Those who don’t know what West Nile Virus is; it is a virus spread by mosquito bites that breed specifically in tropical regions. Its infection rate remains limited because individuals can’t transmit this disease. The only human reported transmissions are through breastfeeding and uterus. There are evidence of the West Nile Virus being spread from mother to child during pregnancy and at the time of birth.
West Nile Virus does not affect household pets like dogs and cats.
It takes around a couple of weeks for West Nile fever symptoms to manifest themselves. The onset of symptoms is unexpected and can be severe in most cases. The symptoms can vary from:
In case of mild infection, people get fever for 5-7 days. The headache continues for around 10 days and tiredness continues for around a month. Only one out of 150 people infected by the West Nile Virus face serious problems like swelling in brain, memory loss and inflammation of the spinal cord.
Here are some myths that are floating around and people should be educated against them.
- You can get infected by the West Nile Virus by touching an animal.
- You would get the virus by kissing an infected person.
- Vaccine can prevent West Nile Virus. On the contrary, there is just no vaccine made by medical science till date to prevent against this virus
Prevention is the only solution for West Nile Virus. You cannot stop a mosquito bite, but can ensure hygiene that ceases growth and proliferation of mosquitoes.
- Don’t leave open water containers or store water for long to restrain growth of mosquitoes.
- It is suggested to stay indoors during dawn and dusk when there the virus-carrying mosquitoes are most prevalent.
- Wear such clothes that cover your body completely.
- Apply mosquito repellents that can prevent the infection.
- Ensure you eat healthy food to boost up your immune system to fight against the virus. You can add foods like nuts, garlic, green tea and fibrous fruits to your daily diet.
- Exercise regularly to stay fit.
Home Remedies for West Nile Virus
There is just no allopathic treatment to get rid of the West Nile Virus. One has to have strong immunity to fight off this deadly virus and that is where herbs and supplements come into play.
- Include 1000 mg of vitamin C, vitamin D and minerals in your food. They are a great way to increase your immunity and fight off viruses entering your body. Sit in direct sunlight for Vitamin D and eat citrus fruits. Echinacea is a herb that is a very good source of Vitamin C. Similarly, including turmeric in your food can add on to Vitamin C to your diet. You can also drink powdered turmeric mixed in warm milk at night.
- Drink lots of water to flush out infections of any kind. It is important to rest and relax your body along with appropriate exercise. Going for walks in fresh air is one of the best exercises that can keep your body healthy.
- Some herbs that help repel the West Nile Virus are Lantana, Yarrow, Citronella Grass and American Beautyberry. Herbs like Goldenseal and Oregano are also very effective in building immunity of the body.
- Garlic can be used effectively as natural mosquito repellent as well as immunity building agent. It has been found that fenugreek is also a wonderful seed when it comes to fighting infections. Soak a teaspoon overnight in warm water and gulp it along with the water in the morning.
These are some of the natural ways to build your immunity against West Nile Virus. The aim is to ensure the body stays healthy and fit to fight off the infection. Healthy eating habits, maintaining hygiene and regular exercise can not only help the body to fight this infection, they also help in recovering quickly from West Nile fever.
There are some homeopathy medicines too that claim to help people in getting rid of West Nile Virus. However, their authenticity and effectiveness remains unknown.
So just use the above mentioned home remedies and maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet to ensure you don’t get affected by West Nile Virus. If you feel tired for almost a month and get fever, don’t ignore. It could be West Nile Virus and not just a regular viral infection. Visit your doctor rather than opting to self-medicate yourself. At the end of the day, it is only prevention that can help you stay away from West Nile Virus.