Human body processes a lot of compounds and substances derived from food and beverages. It metabolizes purine, a substance both derived from food and generated within the body. In the process, the body creates a waste product named uric acid. It is filtered by the kidneys and gets discarded through urine. However, when the body gets and creates excess amounts of uric acid, some of it starts accumulating in the blood stream. Factors like medications, chemotherapy agents and crash dieting can also lead to excess uric acid in the human body. Elevated levels of Uric acid lead to acid crystal formation within joints and tissues. That is how ailments like gout form which affect a significant part of men.
How To Reduce The Amount of Uric Acid In Blood
While excess uric acid formation can lead to the onset of gout and the development of kidney stones, it can be controlled and reduced. You need not undergo any surgery for this. By controlling diet and making some vital lifestyle changes you will be able to reduce uric acid level.
Below listed are a few effective measures you can adopt to reduce uric acid levels:
- Checking The Medications– At times, specific drugs and OTC medications you take may contribute to high levels of uric acid in the blood stream. You need to discuss the medications with a doctor and it can be resolved. Sometimes, vitamin supplements can lead to excess uric acid formation.
- Drink Suitable Beverage– The beverages you drink may also be responsible for excessive uric acid generation in the body. It is advisable not to drink caffeine laced drinks and alcoholic beverages much. They can lead to uric acid development.
- Avoid Specific Foods- There are quite a few foods that are rich in purine and eating them regularly can be the cause behind excess levels of uric acid in the bloodstream. Avoid eating foods like liver, sausages, mushrooms, cauliflower, and beans daily.
- Eating Fibre Rich Foods- When you eat foods replete with dietary fibre, it can help reduce uric acid levels, studies have shown. Dietary fibres help eliminate uric acid from the body.
- Evade Eating Bakery Products Much– Eating bakery products like biscuits and sweetened breads increase risk of uric acid generation in the blood stream.
- Evade Shell Based Seafood- If you are fond of seafood and those with shells, stop eating these if keeping uric acid in control is your objective! Seafood variants like lobster, Shrimps, oysters and crabs contain high amounts of purines. You should reduce eating these, both in canned or smoked form.
- Cook With Cold-Pressed Olive Oil- Olive oil is not only good for your heart, it is also better when it comes to keeping uric acid and gout at bay. It is way better than vegetable oils and butter, which turn rancid faster. Rancid fats eliminate vitamin E in the human body which is required to regulate uric acid levels.
- Eat Antioxidant Rich Produce– Make antioxidant enriched vegetables and fruits a part of your diet to fight uric acid levels. Examples include blueberries, grapes, broccoli and red bell peppers.
- Eat Cherries Regularly– Cherries are liked by plenty of people for their taste and flavour. However, eating cherries can also help men combat uric acid and gout. This has been corroborated by findings of a number of studies. Cherries eaten in any form, dried, juice or fresh- can be beneficial in this regard.
- Avoid Fructose Based Drinks And Foods-Fructose is one type of sugar that is used extensively in making soda and carbonated beverages. It is also used to make confectioneries widely. When you eat fructose based foods and drinks a lot, the uric acid levels in bloodstream shots up significantly.
- Drink Lots of Water– Simple as it sounds, plenty of fluid intake helps your kidneys flush out uric acid better. Water is the best beverage to dilute uric acid so that it can be processed to be diluted by the kidneys.