Neem is an evergreen and tropical tree grown in 30 countries all over the world. It is an inherent part of Ayurvedic medicine and has traditionally been used to treat many health problems concerning the skin and hair.
Its leaves and bark are as often used in treatment as its oil. All these parts of the Neem tree are known to be filled with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that jointly help get rid of dandruff.
Neem oil is a vegetable oil that’s extracted from the seeds and fruits of the Neem tree. It is highly effective in treating dandruff. Not only does Neem oil get rid of itchy scalps but it also helps get rid of dandruff. Instead of using harsh chemicals present in conditioners and shampoos to treat a dandruff problem, it helps to use something natural and safe like Neem oil or leaves.
Dandruff, better known as seborrheic dermatitis, is a disorder of the scalp. It is usually due to irritated and oily skin, dry skin, prevalence of bacteria, skin inflammation and fungal infection on the scalp, among other factors. It leads to itchiness along with an excessive amount of skin flakes visible on the scalp.
Dandruff causes a lot of embarrassment to people whenever visible to others. Being itchy too is a big source of worry and embarrassment. However, it can be controlled and later eliminated if one follows a healthy routine of hair care.
[ Read: How To Prevent Dandruff in Winter ]
Here are some simple home remedies that you can try which will definitely give good results. With a little time and dedication on your part, you can treat the problem effectively.
Quick facts about Neem oil:
- Store it in a cool and dry place.
- Keep it away from harsh sunlight.
- It should not be refrigerated.
- Do a patch test before applying Neem oil on your scalp.
How to use Neem oil to get rid of dandruff:
- Wash your hair thoroughly. Apply a capful of apple cider vinegar to your scalp and leave it on for a couple of minutes. Rinse your hair and let it dry partially. Once almost dry, add Neem oil to your scalp and dry any excess with a towel.
- To reduce the severity of concentrated Neem oil, mix it with any other hair oil such as olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil before applying it to your scalp.
- You can also apply Neem oil of lower concentration directly onto your scalp and shampoo it after an hour.
- Mix equal quantities of Neem oil and olive oil. Massage it onto your scalp and let it remain for 20 minutes. Then, shampoo it. You’ll find that this mix makes for a good hair conditioner.
- You can choose to go with the ready Neem shampoo available in the market. Else, you can make your own by adding 1/2 tbsp Neem oil to your shampoo. Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients well. Use this shampoo well once a week to eliminate dandruff.
- To one cup of curd, add a few drops of Neem oil. Spread this paste all across your scalp and let it remain for 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. If you have an itchy scalp, it will work wonders.
- Mix equal quantities of Neem oil, basil oil and tea tree oil and apply the mix to your scalp. It will help get rid of dandruff.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice and Neem oil and apply it to your scalp. Neem oil also has the capacity to treat scalp infections apart from dandruff. Your hair will be healthy and moisturized.
- Mix Neem oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil in equal proportions and apply it to your scalp. Shampoo it off after two hours.
- Mix Neem oil, basil leaves and one teaspoon each of bhringaraj, Shikakai and fenugreek powder. Apply the paste all over your scalp and wash it off two hours later. Since this paste is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial in nature, it will help cure you of dandruff.
Neem Oil Therapy: Experts suggest using Neem oil to get rid of the flaking of dandruff on the scalp. To use it effectively, dilute the oil in water and add it to your regular shampoo or make it a part of a carrier oil. For this, you can use a cup of coconut oil and ¼ cup Neem oil.
To use, warm the coconut oil and it to the Neem oil. Massage it onto your scalp and leave it on overnight. Wash off next morning. Do this twice a week for best results.
[ Read: How To Use Castor Oil For Treating Dandruff ]
- Using about 50 Neem leaves, boil them in two liters of water. Boil the leaves till the water turns green in colour and the leaves soften and fade. Strain the leaves and keep them aside until the solution cools. Use the Neem solution to rinse your hair and get rid of your dandruff problem.
- Heat about five cups of water and to it add a couple of handfuls of Neem leaves. Keep this overnight and use it to rinse your hair with. If you have an itchy scalp and irritation due to dandruff, these problems will be solved. You can also grind the soaked leaves to a paste and use it separately on the scalp as one more treatment method for dandruff.
[ Read: How Anti-Dandruff Shampoos Work ]
Neem Leaf Hair Pack
Using Neem leaves, you can make this hair pack at home and fight dandruff with it quite successfully. To prepare the pack, take 40 Neem leaves, a liter of water and a tablespoon of honey. Boil the water and take it off the stove. Add the Neem leaves to it and let it rest overnight.
Next morning, strain the water and rinse your hair with it. You can also grind the leaves in your grinder and apply the paste to your hair and scalp. To soften your hair, you can also add some honey and keep it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off later with warm water. If you do this once a week, you will find your incidence of dandruff reducing in just a short time. Your hair will also be tangle-free and more manageable.
Neem is a proven natural and effective ingredient of fighting dandruff. This not only prevents you from the ill-effects of harsh chemical-laden shampoos but also saves you the embarrassment of scratching your scalp in public. While it is true that Neem does take some time to give best results, on your part, you can keep your scalp clean, eat healthy food, exercise, be stress-free and drink a lot of water. Speak to your doctor for medical cures too.