Carpet Moths do not really cause any harm. But the moth larvae are pretty dangerous and if your carpets have them in good amount then it is really a great cause of worry. Research facts show that each female moth has the capacity to lay around 200 eggs once in their lifetime. What is more alarming is that these moth larvae have the habit of chewing your carpet and other types of textiles and fabrics and they can continually grow and keep on chewing for around 30 months making expensive damage to your carpet area. Watching your carpet beauty getting damaged helplessly can be annoying and upsetting at the same time.
Identifying Presence of Moth Larvae
How can you get rid of these damaging moth larvae that feed on your carpet?
- The first step is to find out the exact cause and check for the presence of moth larvae on your carpet.
- Mostly the larvae start by chewing the edges and corners of the carpets.
- Hence, if you find small balding areas in these places, it means that your carpet has an infestation of the moth larvae.
- Once you are assured of their presence, it is time to identify these pests separately from other pests.
- The moth larvae are quite tiny with a wingspan of 14 to 18 mm.
- Another indication of the presence of moth larvae is the presence of silk-like casings or maggots similar to grub.
Once you are sure that moth larvae have infested your carpet you need to start a treatment that can effectively get rid of their presence.
4 Steps for Complete Elimination
When you are using a chemical or natural pesticide for eliminating the moth larvae, you need to follow certain steps so that the elimination is more effective and complete.
Perform the whole process in four easy steps:
- Cleaning and complete removal,
- Using Fumers,
- Sprinkling the insect killing powder all over the carpet area and especially more in areas infested with the moth larvae and along the skirting,
- Spray a pesticide (use a non-staining one) on the infested area and the adjacent areas as the moth larvae can move back or around to protect themselves.
Before using the pesticide, it is important that you clean the carpet thoroughly using a vacuum cleaner.
- You need to concentrate on specific infested areas where you suspect the presence of moth larvae
- The skirting borders should be cleaned using the cleaner’s fine nozzle
- Try to get the nozzle alongside and under the furniture where the moth larvae can burrow
- It is important to vacuum the carpet from both the sides
- Make sure to empty the vacuum cleaner away from your interiors
Using Natural Products for Eliminating Moth Larvae
If you do not want toxicity to enter your home and want to use only natural solutions then you should opt for natural products that help in getting rid of moth larvae. But when you decide to use natural products be prepared to work hard as these products
may take a bit more time for giving you the necessary result.
- First start by vacuuming your carpet completely
- Spray the damaged and infested area with the solution for eliminating moth larvae and also along the skirting areas and in the areas under the furniture, as moth larvae tend to flourish more in dark places.
- Let the solution dry for two to three hours or as per instructed on the packaging and then sprinkle the special moth eliminating powder on it.
- Leave this powder for at least 10 days so that the new larvae that are about to hatch from the eggs and continue the cycle are also killed.
- Keep a moth box in the room with the carpet at a height of around one to two meters.
- You should repeat this treatment for one or two times more to ensure complete elimination of the moth larvae.
You can use a chemically prepared product for eliminating larvae however; it is essential that you keep the chemicals out of the reach of your children and wash your hand thoroughly after the use. It is advisable to keep the carpet during the treatment in a room where you do not visit regularly to avoid the toxic fumes that these chemicals emit during use.
With the help of all these instructions and guidelines, you can easily get rid of the moth larvae and control the damage to your carpet.