Hair loss is worrisome. Given the exposure to pollution, use of chemicals, improper eating habits, and sedentary lifestyle, there has been an unprecedented surge in the number of cases of hair loss being reported. While a healthy diet coupled with a few herbs could help in easing loss of hair, studies reveal that rubbing the nails daily is a great natural way to promote hair growth.
Known as Balayam, this is a yogic formula that has been followed by the Indian culture ever since time unknown. A simple, yet effective cure for hair loss, Ayurveda suggests that regular and dedicated practice of this technique could even cure baldness. Also called as the Nakhancha Vyayam, it does not involve the use of any medication or herbs. Plus, it works without disrupting your body’s natural state of being.
Read on to know more about what this technique is and how you can use it to prevent and ease hair loss.
What Is Balayam?
Balayam comprises of two different words – Bal that means Hair and Vyayam that stands for exercise. In short, it means exercise for the hair. Rubbing the nails is an Acupressure technique wherein the person is asked to rub the nails of both the fingers to stimulate the circulation in the scalp. When practiced regularly for a prolonged period, it helps in promoting hair growth, easing hair loss, and curing Androgenic Alopecia.
It works effectively in men and women across all the age groups. Just get it right. You have to practice this technique without break for at least six to seven months to see visible results. And, you should practice for 60 minutes a day. You could even practice it four times a day, with each session lasting 15 minutes.
[ Read: How To Use Shikakai For Hair Growth ]
How To Rub The Nails To Ease Hair Loss?
You should practice this technique ideally after emptying your bowels and on empty stomach in the morning. However, if that is not feasible, try to leave a gap of 2 to 3 hours after your meal and then practice this.
- Sit in a comfortable position, keeping your spine erect. This is essential to allow proper circulation.
- Fold your fingers inward as if making a fist, but fold only half way through so that fingers of both hands face each other.
- Take a deep breath, in through your nose.
- Exhale completely through your mouth.
- Keeping the back erect, rub the nails briskly for 10 to 15 minutes, leaving the thumb aside. Keep doing till you are not able to manage the tingling sensation.
- Keep breathing normally as you practice this, focusing only the rubbing.
- Release the fingers and shake off the hands.
If you are practicing continuously for one hour, take a minute’s break and repeat for 15 minutes again. As mentioned above you could even split it into two or four sessions, depending on your convenience.
While you could do this anytime you want to, following the above mentioned rules could fetch you better benefits.
[ Read: How Does Ginger Help In Hair Growth ]
How Does Rubbing Nails Cure Hair Loss?
Here are some of the ways rubbing the nails could cure hair loss:
- Stimulates circulation of blood to the scalp
- Prevents premature graying of hair
- Promotes growth of new hair
- Reverses and cures baldness
- Helps in preventing excessive loss of hair
A Word of Caution
While this technique can be literally practiced by anyone, refrain from practicing if you fall into any one of the categories mentioned below.
- If you are hypertensive
- If you are prone to chronic dizziness
- If you are pregnant or lactating
- If you have some pre-existing nail condition
When are you going to start practicing?