Have you ever tried golden berries? If not, you are missing out on some health benefits that you could do with. Scientists have left no stone unturned to find the positive health impacts of this amazing fruit.
Besides being a wonderful snack to munch on, golden berries are packed with antioxidants and a whole array of nutrients. They can be eaten in salads or just by themselves. The unique blend of tart and sweet tastes make them a perfect example of a fruit that tastes better than a candy.
About Golden Berries and Their Health Benefits
Popularly known as Inca berries or gooseberries, golden berries are native to South America and have been cultivated there for ages. In addition to being high in antioxidants, these berries also are used in folk medicine.
If you are keen on knowing some of the amazing health benefits of golden berries, here they are:
- Anti-Inflammatory – If you have problems like gout, arthritis, muscle aches, haemorrhoids or chronic pain, the anti-inflammatory compounds present in golden berries help alleviate these conditions, thus improving the quality of life. Moreover, it lowers the blood pressure effectively, thereby reducing symptoms of hypertension and heart ailments.
- Antioxidant – This is the most important benefit offered by golden berries. The high count of antioxidants makes this fruit an ideal nutritional supplement. Antioxidants aid in the prevention of chronic diseases. Antioxidants, such as polyphenolic compounds and carotenoids, present in this amazing fruit work to neutralize oxidative damaged caused by free radicals.
- Rich Source of Fatty Acids – Fats are considered unhealthy and unwanted by many. However, there are certain essential fatty acids, like linoleic and oleic acid, that are required by the body for several biochemical processes. Hence, golden berries help in maintaining optimal biochemical processes in the body.
- Weight Loss – Being low in calorie, golden berries make an amazing choice of snack for those trying to shed weight. This tiny fruit is loaded with vital nutrients. Moreover, this fruit doesn’t add calories and harmful fats to the overall diet. This way, it helps keep your weight under control.
- Controls Diabetes – Golden berries are believed to contain some compounds that work on slowing down the breakdown of simple sugars from carbohydrates. This way, it prevents the body as well as the bloodstream from being flooded with sugar. It also aids the proper regulation of insulin receptors. Diabetes is caused mainly due to drastic fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Golden berries help avoid these fluctuations, thus acting as a preventive measure against type II diabetes.
- Rich In Withanolide – Many of us are not aware about withanolide, a unique organic compound that has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. This compound prevents cell death, or apoptosis, and also slows the spread of cancerous cells in the body.
- Improves Immune Health – The high levels of Vitamin C present in a single serving of golden berries makes the fruit highly beneficial for the immune system. The ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is known to stimulate the growth of white blood cells, which kill harmful pathogens in the body. Vitamin C also is a potent antioxidant. This vitamin is considered the key element required for the production of collagen, essential for repair and production of cells, organs, tissues, and blood vessels.
- Maintains Healthy Kidneys And Liver – Some studies have revealed one of the withanolides present in this berry is helpful in reducing liver scarring as well as reversing liver degradation. Golden berry is also associated with optimal kidney health, as it helps in the removal of toxins from the lymphatic system by stimulating urination to flush out excessive salts and fats.
- Maintains Healthy Vision – The high count of carotenoids in golden berry makes the fruit helps in boosting vision health. Carotenoids are known to reverse oxidative stress on the ocular system, thus slowing the onset of age-related macular degeneration and preventing cataract development. This way, golden berries help maintain healthy vision with growing age.
In addition to the aforesaid health benefits, golden berries are loaded with iron and fibre, known to transport oxygen throughout the body. Not only does golden berry contribute to normal functioning of the immune system, it also reduces fatigue and tiredness.
You can eat them straight, out of the bag, or mix some of the dried berries in salads or cereals to enjoy their amazing health benefits.