Injuries are quite commonplace in life and nearly everybody gets subjected to injuries from time to time. However, when athletes and sports persons get injured, the repercussions can be more serious as it can hamper their career prospects. Sports injuries can be both mild and serious. When such injuries happen- seeking medical intervention is necessity. However, a sportsperson should also know the immediate remedies and steps to take after the incident. This will help him or her cope with the pain, trauma and after effects better.
The Common Place Types of Sports Injuries
Both male and female athletes and sports persons get subjected to various sports injuries. The most commonplace ones are:
- Achilles tendinitis/ rupture of the Achilles tendon
- Shin splints
- Groin strains
- Ankle sprains
- Runner’s knee
- Shoulder injury
- Dislocation of joints
- Bone fracture/cracks
These injuries can happen both on and off fields. Sports persons can develop such injuries, both by collision with other players, unexpected falls or after hitting other objects.
Ways To Prevent or Reduce Sports Injuries
It is better if you can prevent the risks of getting sports injuries. For this, a few steps can be taken:
- A number of leg and foot related injuries and pains can be evaded by wearing right types of shoes.
- Wearing protective clothing can also be useful in reducing the occurrences of certain types of injuries in sports.
- Resorting to proper warm up and exercise regimes can make your body less susceptible to sports injuries over time.
How To Cope With And Treat Sports Injury
After getting afflicted with a sports injury, asking for medical interventions becomes a necessity. However, before the doctor can arrive, it is necessary to adopt measures that can help the affected person cope with the pain and stress.
The measures are:
- Ice pack– The injury received by an athlete is immediately followed by pain and swelling and sometimes, bleeding. Applying ice packs can offer relief from the pain to an extent. It also helps cut down blood loss, if any.
- Rest– Until the doctor arrives after sports injury, the affected person should not make many movements. This is applicable even if the injury is not severe. Taking rest in lying position or sitting posture is a necessity at such times.
- Compression– Opting for elastic bandage compression can also help prevent pain caused by sports injuries to an extent. It should not be wrapped too tightly over the affected body part though.
- Elevation– If there is an injury to the hand or leg of person in the field, it helps if the part can be held in an elevated position. This will help reduce blood flow to the region. Sitting or lying with pillows or cushion can be helpful to be in such postures.
- Heat packs– If applying ice does not cut it for you, post a sports injury, opt for heat therapy. Using hot bags or electric based heat packs can help numb the pain to an extent. It may also give relief from tight muscles.
Medical Treatment Options For Sports Injury
Based on the nature and severity of the injury, there can be a multitude of sports injury treatments that the doctor may recommend. These may include the following:
- Pain medications
- Minimally invasive to open surgeries
It is only in cases of severe sports injuries, corrective surgeries may be required. The recuperation period from such surgeries can also vary.
Overcoming Sports Injuries: The Mental Aspect
As it is, recovering from a sports injury does not only involve the physical healing process! A lot of sports persons get mentally affected after being hit with such injuries. Athletes may undergo myriad types of negative feelings, including depression, anger, frustration and anxiety while recuperating from sports injuries. If these are not addressed properly their performance can be affected adversely later. To ensure you cope better with the psychological aftermath of a sports injury, you can resort to the below listed measures:
- Learning about injury type– Thanks to the internet, getting information on sport injury is a matter of few seconds! When you learn about details of the types of sports injury, you become more confident and worry less about recovery prospects.
- Talking to an expert– it is necessary that you discuss the details of the injury with a doctor and therapist. They will be able to offer you expert insight about your recovery prospects and risk, if any. They can also guide you regarding any supplement and medications that can help the injury heal better.
- Thinking positively– You may resort to reading positive outlook books and online resources to boost your mindset while recuperating from any sports injury. Practicing meditation and light yoga postures can also help you in the recovery process to an extent.
It is important that you do not neglect a sprain that you may get on the field. Many a times it can be more serious than just an impact. Ligament tears, hairline fractures left unattended will only make you crippled and unable to fare well in your big match!