Excessive production of androgen puts women in trouble, creating havoc in her body. Right from mood swings, to excess growth of unwanted body hairs, and acne, the male hormones trouble them. All women possess a certain level of androgen in their bodies for the overall well-being, including better energy levels, admirable lean mass, and enhanced libido.
However, there is an if condition that comes along. When the female reproductive triggers the production of more than admissible levels, that is more than 1/10th of what is present in men, the imbalance surges, manifesting into medical conditions and lifestyle disorders. Women experience a total mess up of their lives.
To handle this, one has to curb the synthesis of androgen in the ovaries or adrenal glands, which in turn will lower the free androgen levels and prevent the negative impacts. Along with a good diet, adequate exercise, and dietary supplements this can easily be managed.
Read on to know how you can tackle excess androgen levels in women.
- Include exercise in your lifestyle
According to a study conducted at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, women who indulged in moderately intense exercise levels showcased a higher levels of decrease in androgen levels than non-exercisers. Along with a god diet rich in protein, women are advised to include 45 minutes of exercise in their life, 5 days a week to get their bodies back on track.
Yoga is one of the most effective ways to tackle androgen levels. It helps you to relax and rejuvenate, putting stress at bay. Along with asanas, regular practice of Pranayama and meditation is also advised. Some of the yoga poses that a woman can try include:
- Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose
- Badhakonasana – Bound Angle Pose – Butterfly Pose
- Virabhadrasana I – Warrior I
- Virabhadrasana II – Warrior II
- Dhanurasana – Bow Pose
- Naukasana – Boat Pose
- Bharadvajasana – Seated Spinal Twist
[ Read: How To Get Instant Energy With Yoga ]
- Eat healthy
Chuck out those artificial sweeteners, unhealthy carbohydrates, and sugary foods from your diet. Indulging in these foods exaggerates insulin levels, in turn paving way for higher levels of androgen. Choose whole grains and high protein diets as well as foods that are rich in phytoestrogens. This will not only aid in reducing the male hormone levels, but also shield you from a wide range of lifestyle disorders, including PCOS and impotency.
Studies also suggest that including dietary fibers such as cereals, legumes and vegetables as well as phtyestrigenic foods such as flaxseed, milk, soy, and tofu in the diet is known to curb the levels of androgen as well as testosterone. To keep the levels of androgen under control, women should also include foods that have omega 3 fatty acids in abundance in them. Flaxseeds and linseeds are two fabulous essential fatty acid sources.
Two other food items that recommend for women to lower the levels of androgen include reishi mushroom and red clover. Both these are known to possess the power to bring the levels of androgen as well as testosterone under control and eliminate their unwanted side effects.
- Supplements are a must
You can include the following set of herbs in your diet, after checking with your physician, to keep a tab on androgen levels.
- Bupleurum: This herb is known to be powerful enough to maintain the dominance of estrogen. It eases the levels of cortisol, the stress trigger, and thus ward off androgen upsurge.
- Licorice: It is a powerful Ayurvedic formula that is quite often used in treating androgen induced poly cystic ovarian syndrome. It improves the levels of estrogen, while restricting the increase of androgen as well as testosterone.
- Shatavari: Shatavari is known as the elixir of women. It promotes balance in the reproductive system of women, offering her a chance to bring the trouble hormones back to track.
- Spearmint: Make a tea out of the fresh spearmint leaves. Studies suggest that women who included two cups of this tea in their diet are known to showcase better reduction in levels of androgen than non-drinkers.
- Inositol: These supplements help to lower the testosterone levels, at the same time offers relief from PCOS by improve the egg quality and levels of spontaneous ovulation.
While these are just suggestions to lower high androgen levels, it is always advisable to take the advice of a doctor before you start. Stay healthy!