You are not the first person in this world to experience this; most of the people in the world go through these thoughts some or the other point of time. And, just because you have suicidal thoughts does not imply that you have a defective character, or you are mad or weak. These negative thoughts are just the indicators of the kind of pain you are experiencing right at the moment. Just stay calm and read on to know what you can do to get over such thoughts.
Coping With Suicidal Thoughts
1. Give Yourself Some Time!
You might be in intense pain, but give yourself some time so that you will be able to think clearly. Pain, most of the times, clouds your thoughts that lead to this thinking process. The amount of time you want to give yourself can fall anywhere between 24 hours to one week, depending on how intense your pain is.
2. Do Not Rely On Intoxications!
It is a general tendency to reach out to drugs and alcohol when you experience such intense negative thoughts. There are even cases where you feel like emptying the whole bottle of sleeping pills. However, it is advisable to refrain from using any such things when you are feeling lost.
3. Talk To Your Near And Dear Ones!
A friend in need is a friend indeed! And this is one time where you should really be calling upon your best friend and explain your condition. You can also seek the help of your parents or any elders, depending on the cause of the issue, to open up your mind.
4. Deviate Yourself!
There are numerous ways you can turn yourself away from such thoughts. Indulge in a hobby of your choice. Channelizing the negative energy into a positive one is one of the most positive ways to handle your suicidal thoughts.
5. Express Your Thoughts!
Express yourself. If you feel you are not comfortable talking to anyone, you can always write down whatever you feel. You can also shout or cry or do whatever you feel is right for you to get those emotions out from your head. Once the root cause is eliminated, you will find that you are free from the associated thoughts.
6. Do Yoga!
Well, this might sound crazy especially when you are amidst some painful thoughts! But studies suggest that practicing yoga while you are facing negative thoughts helps calming you and your mind. It helps you think clearly and take a rational decision. The various breathing techniques send an additional dose of blood to the brain, thereby stimulating the happy hormone, serotonin. This sets the stage for a peaceful and calming mind.
7. Take Professional Help!
When all the tips above fail to work, then the best idea would be to contact a professional organization that would help you. There are numerous organizations that counsel people and help them get through these negative thoughts.
Things To Do When You Have Suicidal Thoughts
Here are couple of things that you can do when you experience these thoughts:
- Always outline a safety plan and keep it in a handy place. The plan should include the phone numbers of your therapists, family, and friends to whom you can reach out when crisis strikes.
- Spend 30 minutes in nature to breathe in some fresh air and get a dose of sunlight.
- Exercise regularly. While yoga is a great form of exercise to indulge in, you can also try some vigorous form to pep up your positive mood.
- Spend time with yourself. Most of us find loads of excuses and feel guilty about spending time on yourself. Try to get in touch with your inner self and strike a connection.
- Indulge in things that will make you happy. It could be anything as simple as getting a massage done or learning something new. Keeping your mind engaged and happy should be the final goal.
Do not keep pondering over the same thoughts over and again. Just let them go. Time heals things. So keep expanding the space between thoughts and action. You will find yourself free from the clutches of suicidal thoughts soon!