For whatever reason, you may not feel so good about yourself. Maybe you lost your job or did not get the promotion you wanted or maybe your spouse left you.
Maybe you just do not like the way you look on the outside or maybe you do not like the fact you do not make much money. Maybe in some ways you feel helpless like you cannot even take care of yourself.
No matter what the reason you do not feel very good about yourself there are ways you can improve your self-esteem. Use these tips to help you get rid of a deflated ego:
- Be kind to yourself. For instance, if you can afford it take a vacation. At the very least you can relax in a hot bath or treat yourself out to a nice, healthy dinner.
- Get to the bottom of any emotional or mental problems you might have. Otherwise, anger and bitterness could built up inside.
- If you are anxious or depressed figure out why. Is it related to past trauma or are you just having a bad day because you are afraid you will not have money for rent? These are examples.
- If you have made some mistakes fix them, if you can. The mistakes you need to correct or wrongs you need to make right could be on the job or in your personal life. Do whatever you can to make things better if possible. It almost always is never too late to say “I’m sorry” and then to do what needs to be done to change the situation.
- Stop expecting yourself to be perfect. Having too high of ideals about yourself and expecting yourself to never make any mistakes is one way to always be disappointed and depressed.
- Stop expecting so much out of life. Although you should never give up on your hopes and dreams do not be down on yourself if you never accomplish everything you wanted to. Almost no one does, but everyone tries.
- Except yourself for who you are. This means you should like yourself in spite of both your good qualities as well as your limitations. Stop trying to be someone you are not.
- Do not loath in self-pity over failures. If you are stuck in past mistakes and failures it can prevent you from having a productive future. Let go of the past and move on.
- Seek professional counseling. This may be especially necessary if you are having a hard time feeling good about yourself. It may also be needed if you constantly have this low opinion of yourself, or if it is an everyday occurrence for you to feel down and defeated Venting to a non-judgmental, encouraging friend who will not let you remain down for long can also help.
- Seek out inspirational and encouraging scriptures and passages. Reading biographies of successful people who have lived hard lives also can uplift and encourage you.