There is no denying that sweaters continue to be the favourite winter garments for millions of men and women, despite the availability of other stylish winter wear life jackets and blazers. The cosy warmth and softness offered by a sweater on a chilly winter day is simply awesome. The designs, styles and colours can be numerous and you can pick one that suits your style needs as well. However, the issue many sweater users feel over time is pilling. Whether you buy a sweater made of pure wool or cashmere, pilling is an issue that is very hard to evade.
Why Pilling Takes Place?
As a matter of fact, Pilling is not restricted to sweaters alone. It can also happen to cotton garments. However, the wool and other fabrics used to make sweaters make pilling more visible. Pilling tends to get aggravated with repeated usage, as it is. Pills form when the wool or acrylic fibres in a sweater become lessened or break. The ends of fibres get exposed and become tangled, leading to pills. You find your favourite sweater, covered by white fuzz balls all over! It does not diminish the efficacy of the sweater, but mars the visual appeal to an extent.
Sadly, it is near impossible to understand whether a sweater will be subjected to pilling when you buy it, no matter how costly it is. It only becomes evident with regular use. In general, pilling becomes accelerated when the sweater is exposed to friction on a regular basis. Those who carry heavy shoulder bags may find the back part of the sweater affected by pilling, for example. Using seat belts may also lead to pilling at the chest part. You will find that sweaters that are used sparingly do not get subjected to pilling much.
How To Get Rid of Pilling in Sweaters
Use the below listed tips to evade pilling in sweaters and get rid of it as well:
- The material used to make a sweater can play a role in the onset of pilling. Merino wool is strong and sweaters made with it tend to pill less compared to composite fibre or regular wool. Longer fibres that are tightly knit are less likely to be affected by pilling.
- The detergent and washing method you use can also make a difference in this regard. Use a high quality liquid detergent to wash your sweaters-one that comes with fabric conditioner. Also, try washing the sweaters inside out and choose the wool cycle in your washing machine. Dry washing the garments also reduces the risk of pilling.
- If you find the sweaters are getting covered by fuzz balls despite taking all precautions, do not lose heart! Take a razor-an old one will do and ensure the razor does not contain a lubricating strip. Using single blade razors will be helpful. Spread the sweater flat on flat surfaces like a table or bed. Then, apply the razor like you are shaving it. Be gentle and do not apply strokes harshly to evade damage to the sweater fabric. This will take time, but you will find the ugly fuzz balls made up of loose and tangled fabric gone.
- If the idea of using regular shaver to eradicate sweater pills seems inadequate for you, try a fuzz shaver made for this need. You can buy such products online as well.
- As an alternative, you can also purchase a sweater stone. This is one special kind of pumice slab made to take away fuzz balls from woollen garment surfaces. Before you purchase such products, read the users reviews online.