Camping is a fun way to give yourself a break from the pleasures of modern life and rough it out with nature. It is always a great way to learn how to appreciate the everyday things that you tend to take for granted. However, camping will not be so much fun if you wear contact lenses, do not take proper care of them and end up missing out on the wonderful experience because your vision is not clear. The good news is that you can enjoy a camping trip with contact lenses, provided you know the proper techniques to take care of them and have all the right supplies.
Tips on How to Camp With Contact Lenses
To enjoy camping out in the wild without worrying about your contact lenses, make sure that you keep the following tips in mind:
- Carry Your Contact Lens Supplies: Ensure that you do not forget to pack everything you need to take care of your contact lenses. If you have one, carry a travel-size solution bottle so that you can refill it whenever necessary. Your lens case is obviously essential as well, so make sure you do not forget. It is best to get a screw-on bottle and case as they are durable, easier to handle and leak-proof.
- Carry Cleaning Supplies For Your Hands: It is important to make sure that your hands are clean at all times so that pathogens that cause infection do not enter your eyes. Specks of dirt can also damage your lenses by tearing or scratching them. Soap is an obvious item that you cannot afford to forget. Apart from this, pack a hand sanitizer.
- Carry A Packet Of Salt: In case you forget or run out of solution while you are camping, you can use saline water as a substitute. Mix ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ cup of water and let it boil for 10 minutes or so. Let the water cool completely before you immerse your lenses in the solution. Salt helps as an analgesic that will kill off any bacteria in water.
- Use Your Solution Sparingly: You do not need to use too much of your contact lens solution. Using it sparingly will prevent it from running out. You should use just enough to immerse them in so that they get adequate moisture. It is not necessary for you to dunk them in a pool of it. Experts recommend using the all-purpose solution that can be used as an eye-drop as well.
- Take A Different Pair Of Lenses: If you do not feel like struggling to take care of your contact lenses while you are on a camping trip, wear Continuous Wear Contact Lenses. These are great as you can wear them throughout the day, and sleep with them, for as long as thirty days. Disposable contact lenses are a good option too. You can change them every day and not worry about cleaning, carrying a solution, etc.
- Practice Taking Your Contacts In And Out: Do you wear your contacts in front of a mirror every day? If you cannot do without a mirror, you will have to carry one. You should also practice putting in and taking off your contacts without having to look at yourself. Either way, carry a small mirror, just in case of an emergency; they can come in handy!
- Carry A Pair of Glasses: One of the best ways to enjoy camping without the hassle of having to take care of contact lenses is to simply wear a pair of spectacles. They are hassle-free and all you need is a soft cloth to keep them clean. Even if you do wear your contacts during your trip, carry a pair of glasses anyway. You never know when you might need them.
Camping with contact lenses does not have to be tiresome or annoying. With a little effort and a few simple tricks up your sleeve, you can take care of them while you are out in the wilderness and prevent them from getting damaged. With the helpful tips mentioned above, you can have an enjoyable camping trip and see every bit of beauty that nature has to offer you without any hassles!