Miami is a beautiful seaside city to visit in winters and summers. With its lovely weather and golden sands, it is a year round vacation destination. Since you are visiting a beach side city, you need to pack accordingly. Remember that you are visiting a tropical city and the weather is quite different from the rest of the United States. There are some dos and don’ts that you need to follow when packing for your trip to Miami.
The culture in Miami is very casual and for the most part of the day, a pair of shorts and a T-shirt will suffice. However, Downtown Miami has many upscale restaurants, which are pretty stringent about the dress code guests follow. So make sure that you pack an assortment of formal and casual wear that is ideally suited for the humidity and heat.
Be Prepared for all Seasons
There are some essential items that you need to pack while visiting Miami, regardless of which time of the year you intend visiting the city. Some of these things are as follows:
- High quality sunglasses that offer UV protection
- Casual cotton clothing; the more colourful, the better
- Clothing for fine dining and formal setting
- Club clothing which suits nightclubs and similar party zones
- Suntan lotion
- Jacket or light sweater
Springtime in Miami
If you are visiting Miami during spring, which from March to May, here is a list of things that you need to pack.
- Sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. If you are going to spend most of your time on the beaches of Miami then keep a large tube of sunscreen is recommended.
- Swimsuit and an overall or robe to use in the hotel lobby or while walking in and out of the beach zone. Never wade onto the roads in your swimsuit – this is especially for women travellers.
- Carry an umbrella because it does rain intermittently during spring.
- Open toes floaters and sandals and a good pair of beach slippers.
- Flowery-printed shorts and tees, so you gel with the rest of the crowd in Miami.
- A light sweater or jacket to keep those winds and cold fronts at bay.
Summertime Stuff for Miami
Summer usually is hot and humid in Miami and it lasts from June to September. It is best to carry light clothes, mostly white or light-coloured ones. Rains can play spoilsport in summer, so it is best to be prepared. Here are a few things that you should carry for the summer season:
- Hat along with sunglasses is a must. The summer sun is pretty harsh in Miami.
- Take a good bug repellant for the beach and outdoors. Summers brings around a lot of bugs that bite and cause rashes on the body.
- Swimsuit; it is best to carry a couple, so that you can wash one and use the other.
- Umbrella to ward off the rain
- Cotton clothing that are absorbent or wick away moisture from the skin.
- Deodorants as you will sweat a lot
- Sunscreen, lots of it.
- Suntan lotion if you want to work on your tan.
Enjoying the Beauty of Fall in Miami
Fall lasts from October to November. The fall season is barely noticed in Miami because it does not last very long, usually. The temperatures are marginally cooler than summers and the nights may be slightly chilly. Here are some things that you should pack for Miami if you are visiting in fall.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen even if there it is fall. Make sure it has a minimal SPF of 15.
- Umbrella to protect yourself from occasional rains.
- Open-toed sandals and formal shoes
- Lightweight clothing, such as capris, skirts, t-shirts, shorts and long pants.
- A light sweater or jacket, as it can get chilly after sunset and if it rains.
- Your faithful swimsuit and a cover-up while walking in the lobby of your hotel.
Taking in the Winter Delights of Miami
Winters in Miami are from December to February. The beginning of winter is still warm, but by mid-December, it does get pretty chilly here. Here are some things that you should carry during winters.
- Closed-toe shoes to keep your feet warm and snug.
- Long pants and long-sleeved shirts and blouses to keep you warm. Try to pack an assortment of lightweight and warm clothing, as some days will be colder than others.
- Jacket or sweater for those windy and blustery days and cold nights.
Before you leave for Miami, check the weather forecast, so that you know you have packed the right things for your trip. Remember, spring, fall and winter will be cooler and sometimes warmer than you expect. So, it is best to be prepared for that warm or cold front. If you know how to pack for a trip to Miami, you will be prepared for any front that comes your way.