Don’t you love to sit beside the fire and take in the warmth? But ouch, the cost is pretty stunning and equally appalling at times. What you need is a reduced bill for your heating system.
When Do You Need Artificial Heat?
You can use artificial heat to keep warm during the cold autumn and winter when cold winds invade the comforts of your house.
Turn the Heat Off
Here you will find helpful hints to turn down the heating bills and save yourself some major money.
• Pile on the blankets. Get yourself an array of clothes and rugs which would keep in your body heat.
• Wear extra layers. Extra layers of clothes would keep in your body heat and insulate you against the cold.
• Chicken soup for both body and soul. Soup is actually a kind of heat-insulator. Drink a lot of soup to invigorate your body and mind. Chicken, split pea and ham, potato, or hot oriental soups can keep you warm on a cold day, and provide you with a huge amount of comfort.
• Insulate your home. You can easily insulate your home with a few simple steps. You can talk to your local insulating agent, or go online to find one who can get you the materials with which you can do it yourself.
Look for Other Fuels
Don’t you think using other forms of energy can help you more? It actually can change the way you work with fuel and give you massive amounts of savings at the end of the day. Some obvious choices are:
• Convert furnaces to small incinerators. Burn used garbage, newspaper, wood chips and other biodegradable products in your convertible furnace. You can use a fireplace for the same purpose too.
• Try biodiesel. You can use biodiesel easily. Even cooking oil can be called that and used in place of more expensive heating agents.
• Chop wood, just like the old times. Wood is still one of the best ways of reducing your fuel bills. It is also cheap. So you can cut down a few unwanted lightweight trees and use them to increase your household heat. This would also give you a workout that would raise your body temperature.
Exercise your way out of the cold. The more you keep yourself busy, the less the cold gets to you. Keep yourself busy with work and play games. Here are a few ways:
• Take a jog. Wear your sweats and run out to the wide open spaces for a brisk jog. It would put the cold away and keep you fit.
• Exercise indoors. Workout at home. If you always thought of learning the salsa or doing Tai Chi, then there is no better time than now when you are stuck in the house.
Use Heat Prudently
Be prudent and use heat with caution and judgment. A few steps you might want to remember:
• Turn on the heat only to warm through.
• Don’t set the heaters on high.
• Try radiant heating.
Take these easy steps and you would find your heating bills have gone don drastically.
Though they look great, hardwood floors are hell to maintain, and not everyone like the looks of it. Although they last you a really long time, there are reasons which can make people cringe before using them and they want it changed as soon as possible. For them, here is a set of ways you can change the way your floor looks.
Why Get Rid of Hardwood Floors?
Well, there are different kinds of flooring like plank flooring, several types of wood tile, not to mention the ever-popular parquet flooring, which makes excellent flooring material, and for many years people have loved the way these look, and the their agile durability. Generally, the popular flooring types are:
However, there are several problems a homemaker or renovator might face from them, like:
• Pest infestation. Generally termites and other random pests are a problem with hardwood floor. They can actually eat up the entire flooring.
• Deterioration. There are different kinds of flooring which are more useful and durable, like stone, concrete and synthetic materials.
• Advantages of other materials. For hardwood floors, you end up paying a lot more than you pay for other flooring. Hardwood is expensive material.
• Environmental issues. Timber for hardwood can be a cost-effective and energy intensive procedure, and timber comes from plants, which can be a environment problem. so instead of cutting up trees, alternative materials can be used easily.
Going Over Hardwood Floors
Instead of using your existing hardwood covered floor, you can easily use another flooring material to cover the existing flooring. All you need to remember are a few things, and you are good to go: Remember to check whether the existing hardwood material strong enough to help put on the flooring material, getting rid of the parts which cannot, and then pour over the concrete or other flooring material to cover the floor. You now would have new flooring on your hardwood material.
Removing Hardwood Floors
If you think removing is your thing, then fine, get hold of a few tools, and you are good to go. You would need a circular saw, a chisel, a claw hammer, a sledgehammer, one or more crowbars, and at least one floor scraper.
Then proceed in the following way:
1. Set your lines, boundaries where you can cut off after inspecting the floor. Mark the areas where you would be using your claw hammer.
2. With your saw, you should be able to slice off parts of the flooring, while leaving a part to be decimated by a sledgehammer or crowbar.
3. Be careful and do not damage your subfloor while doing that.
4. With the help of the claw hammer, remove the nails. Work around them with a chisel and a hammer, and properly remove it.
5. After removing the floor, scrape out the subfloor surface with you floor scraper.
6. After you are done, scrape the floor clean of all debris, and inspect the area for any kind of structural damage that might have happened during removal and demolition.
Though difficult and time consuming, removing a hardwood floor is not difficult.
Do you now that behind the charming happy self of yours you might have a deep-rooted sense of rejection working? If you are suffering from a fear of being unaccepted by all, then you need to know a few very important life lessons, the first of which being that you cannot be everyone’s favorite person around. One of the very easy ways to locate a person with a fear of rejection is perhaps finding someone who imitates others. This means, one gives up his/her control over his/her life and imitate others because he/she thinks that would help the person blend in. This can lead into deep depression, paranoia and even suicidal tendencies if not treated at the right moment.
Think Happy. Do not let yourself think negatively or in a way that would affect your happiness. Always think of the bright side of life, and make sure you have yourself to be happy with. Remember, you should be doing things that make you feel good, and add to your self-esteem. That would help get a lot of happiness.
Be independent in your ways and do not let others interfere with your life. If you have a plan, then rather than breaking it to be with someone else, make it a habit to follow it through.
Do not take huge steps. Take little ones, and that would help you much more than trying to do everything together. The key here is to be independent, and that can come slow. Do not despair, take it easy. What you can do is make a list of all the things you are afraid of getting rejected from. Then remember the moments when you were rejected and analyze the way you reacted. Then, realize the consequences of the rejection, and think up of the ways you could have handled things different. If there are any other problems or fears then learn to deal with them too.
Think about the actions you do, and do not think of the consequences. You should not lose your emotional control, and by doing this, you can easily mirror back the thoughts and feelings. Set some goals which you can actually reach, and do not keep goals which you cannot.
You should also learn from your mistakes, and do not repeat them in future. If you have made a mistake, learn from your error.
You should mourn your problem and make yourself drown in your own misery of rejection so that when you are out of it you shall feel refreshed and happy because you have spent your negative energies in the right direction. Think positive, and do not get down just because you feel negative. Keeping yourself focused and confronting your fears you would be able to get over your fear of being rejected and lead a happier and secure life. Remember, these are feelings, and they can get hurt. But you can definitely stop the fear and look for a better day when you get over the misery.
Computers are those things which you cannot live with or without. But cleaning them is surely one of the worst chores you can take up and a lot of people hate doing it for fear of failure. However, we have a solution now which can get rid of the grime easily.
What You’ll Need
Here are some things you may need before trying out any of the suggested methods for cleaning
• Canisters of compressed air or small electric air compressors.
• Anti-static wrist strap
• Dust mask
• Anti-static cleaning cloth
• Natural fiber brush
• Cleaning fluid
• Keyboard vacuum with a non-metallic nozzle
• Small plastic containers
Getting Down and Dirty
• Read the instruction manual. The instruction manual should be your bible if you are new in the game.
• Power off your system. Remove all unnecessary plugs and power cables, and turn of your system. While doing so, you might want to keep an eye out for what fits where, so that you can assemble it back after cleaning.
• Work in an appropriate space. Try doing your work somewhere which is not only clean but also dust free. A closed area would be inappropriate in this case.
• Carefully remove your computer’s CPU case. Use a screwdriver to open up your computer’s CPU case.
• Put on your static wrist strap. Before doing anything put the static wrist strap and dust mask on.
• Vacuum. Use your vacuum to clean out the interior of the computer, carefully brushing down the fans and other areas.
• Air it. Use the canister of compressed air on the computer, not putting it directly in, but from a distance.
• Brush it. Use a static-free brush to brush away the dirt and grime from the interiors.
• Test your cleaning fluid. Check for any negative reactions coming from your cleaning fluid. To do that, just use it on a tiny part of the computer first.
• Cleaning fluid. Use it with any kind of anti-static cloth.
• Leave it to the professionals. You can hire a professional to do the duty as well.
• Clean the panels. Use a static wrist wrap and a cleaning cloth with a smearing of the fluid to clean up the exterior.
• Put it all back. Reassemble your computer after cleaning.
• How often? Once every six months shall do the trick.
Keeping the Dust Away
• Elevate your computer.
• Have a second fan installed.
• Cover your PCI slots.
• Maintain good ventilation.
Don’t Do These
Do not do the following:
• Use a hairdryer.
• Blow on the dust.
• Lose your user’s manual.
Cleaning up your computer can actually lower your chances of changing it every once in a while, and you can get a lot more out of each computer by just maintaining a few steps, following which would help you reduce chances of getting them beyond repair.
If left alone, your driveway can look like its come straight from the sets of a horror movie, and the problem is that they are really difficult to get rid of because they get stuck in little nooks and crannies, and that does not help because the next time they grow, they are thicker and more. And chemicals are not really an environment friendly option to use. So how do you get rid of the grime without letting yourself fall victim to such problem?
Salt, Vinegar and Detergent
There is a solution which you can make out of salt, vinegar and some common detergent, which can create a strong weed killer.
• A cup of Salt
• A gallon of vinegar with 5% acidity
• A tablespoon of liquid detergent
1. Dissolve the salt in the vinegar.
2. Add to it a tablespoon of detergent and mix.
3. Spray this through a spray bottle.
4. You would see how the weeds would be dried out and brown.
5. Do not use this on plants you want to let live.
You can use table salt directly on the weeds you want to get rid of. Just take liberal amounts of the salt and pour them on the weed and you would see the excess of alkali would decimate the weeds.
If you like you can pour boiling water on your weeds for an environmentally safe way of removing your grime and dirt. That is the easiest way to get rid of the weeds. However, this is not a permanent solution, so be careful while using.
If you burn away your weeds with a blowtorch then it’s a simple task. However, be careful because it is after all, a blowtorch which can incinerate easily. Keep water handy and remember that there will be scorch marks remaining.
Fill the Gaps
Generally, the widening gaps that your pavement has encourage weed growth. So if you think that re-pavement is out of question, then fill in the gaps. You can use a number of different materials to fill them, and that would be a threat-free, safe way to clean up your environment:
• Use thinly chipped bark mulch
• Pebbles and small rocks
• Thyme herb
You can also seal any cracks with the aid of polymeric sand, which is effective for little hairline cracks that appear on the surface.
You can pour and sweep them into your cracks, and after they get in they form a kind of barrier that seals off any weed trying to grow through these cracks. You can use an organically bound version to avoid bringing in any toxic element. With these methods, you can safely get rid of driveway weeds, and you can use any one or a combination of different elements to get rid of your weeds without relying on any kind of chemical stuff which can actually harm your household severely. You would find these solutions cheap and safe.
Furniture re-arrangement can leave dents on your favorite carpet, and yes, that looks bad and it does not work when you comb the area with your fingers. There are other ways however, which works really well to clear up the dents. Here are a few:
The Ice Cube Method
The right amount of water can actually help your carpet look like its normal self. When carpets absorb a certain amount of water, their dents disappear easily. You can easily do this by using a method which is called the ice cube procedure:
• Step 1: change the position of your furniture, and then check where the dents are. Identify the dents on your carpet and then count them out. Assign one ice cube per dent.
• Step 2: simply put one ice cube in each dent, and do not overdo it. However, remember, really large or long dents need more ice cubes. You don’t want to turn your carpet soggy and mushy, so limit the number of cubes. Once your carpet absorbs the ice water, if you need more then you can put in more ice cubes to fluff up the dent.
• Step 3: let the cubes melt and you would see your carpet fluff up slightly. Let it rest overnight.
• Step 4: See how things are after at least 24 hours. chances are, there will be small puddles formed, thanks to the multitude of ice cubes, but you can blot that out with paper towels, or a piece of absorbent cloth. Do not use anything which can stain your carpet.
• Step 5: if you see the recovery is not complete, do not despair. Use a fork and lift the carpeting fibers to gently relive them.
More Tips for the Ice Cube Method:
This is actually a very easy way, though it might sound really weird. You can actually make it more effective with a few additional steps, and remembering a few things you should not be doing:
• Melt the ice cube naturally, and do not attempt to use any heat source to it, or blow dry it. That is not the right way to go.
• If the water is minimal, let it dry naturally and do not attempt to blot it out.
• Be gentle with the fork and use it to softly scrape up the fibers to a position which can be called upright, and use it to blend in the fibers. That works too.
• Do one dent at first. A lot of flooring are not prone to keeping water on top for long, so it may damage the surface.
• If the dents still prevail, use a spray bottle of water.
• Do not use them on delicate, antique or dyed rugs, as they may tear.
Other Ways to Get Rid of Carpet Dents
There are a few other methods to get rid of the dents.
• Iron it
• Use your foot to rub the dent out.
• Try the pasta server to brush up the dents.
• Turn the carpet over.
• Use a blow-dryer if you are not doing the ice cube method.
Your house can become the hot bed for allergens and impurities, and you can find yourself facing a situation that might look bad. In that case you need to get rid of them as soon as possible to prevent yourself from getting allergic.
Getting To Know Allergens
Generally, type-I hypersensitivity reaction can be triggered off in atopic people thanks to non-parasitic allergens. When it enters the body, the antibodies believe it is harmful, and releases some kind of preventive, to which the body releases more chemicals causing inflammation. They can come in different forms, like pollen, particles of dust and other small particles. Sometime, food can become a cause of the reaction, like peanuts. To avoid such kind of products, you will have to keep yourself on an alert.
• With the right strategies, you can keep your house allergy free. Be careful what you let enter your house.
• The house should be kept cool and intimate. Do not let humidity affect your house much, and moisture is not your best friend if you are allergic, because they breed certain allergens.
• Particle filters should be present around your house to clean the air if you are prone to dust allergies. Clean them regularly.
• Do not let infestation of rodents or insects inside your house. They both are famous carriers of such particles.
• Mold would be your enemy as well. Refrain from staying in a house where you might be affected by mold and dirt.
• Clean up. Every week at least, make it a point to clean your house to get rid of allergens.
• Smoking is injurious to your household health, because the smoke carries harmful allergens that affect people.
• Allergy to your pet’s dander should be dealt with by taking and keeping your pet out of the house. A doghouse for your dog or a cattery for your cat out of the house is a good idea.
• Replace the carpet you have with something else. Carpets are notorious for containing and carrying allergens.
These ideas are general but they can help the general household. Now let us talk about specific areas of the house.
• Clean your bed sheet and pillows with warm water, and change them once a week at least.
• Instead of carpeting, use linoleum or hardwood floor to avoid dirt gathering.
• Do not keep too many knick knacks around. Let the space be free from clutter.
• Synthetic or cotton curtains would work as repellant of dust.
• Use exhaust fans.
• Use washable rugs.
• Dry the bathtub after using.
• Check for and remove any kind of mold in the bathroom.
• Correct any leaks.
• Use some sort of paint instead of wallpaper.
The Living Room
• Keep rugs and mats clean.
• Use leather furniture instead of upholstered ones.
• Prefer air conditioner to the air outside during the pollen season.
• Let go of potted plant and such ornaments.
• Install any exhaust fan to release the fumes.
• Wash up your dishes.
• Scrub away traces of food from the sinks and faucets.
• Wipe away moisture.
• Take out leftovers and throw them away to avoid growth of mold.
• Use water and detergent to clean up the kitchen.
If you keep your home clean you would find it would be a much better place to live in.
A lot of sugar in your system can get a bit problematic leading to god knows how many different diseases. Getting rid of a sweet tooth can actually benefit your overall health and increase your metabolism. So here are a few steps that can help you stop craving sugar so much.
Raid the Fridge
Find out and itemize all the places you can find sugar from, and categorically clean them out. Whatever you find, cookies or chocolate, put them all together in a jar and remove them from sight. Remember, out of sight, out of mind.
Less Is Better
Go without eating sweet stuff for a few days. Think about something else when your sugar craving hits, and avoid eating it for a while because that would enhance your mental strength against them.
Do not give in to your cravings. Rather, wait for the craving to hit, and then do something else to avoid eating it. Do not indulge yourself, because waiting for at least ten minutes will assure, this is exactly what you want to have, and it is not just a craving your mind is calling for.
Change Your Diet
If you are a sugar-lover then you would be missing out on important body nutrients regularly. Do not let that happen to you. Eat regular meals, and do not try to snack in between just to give in to your hunger.
Eat more protein because a lot of time it is protein your body craves and not sugar.
If you are absolutely desperate to have sugar, then eat healthy stuff like honey, and avoid that candy bar.
Don’t just watch what you eat, watch when you eat. Put yourself in a mental clock, and before and after that do not eat those ice creams, because that would be bad for you.
Do not take artificial sweeteners. Most of them contain aspartame, and that is not exactly nice for your body.
Stay away from coffee and other drinks that include caffeine in it. Rather, drink juices and water, and limit the cups of coffee you have each day.
Read the labels of the food you eat, and make sure you know what goes inside your system. Do not be fooled by healthy. Read the label and find out how healthy they are.
Relax And Sleep Well
Sleep is one of the best ways to get rid of sugar cravings. A healthy amount of snooze would put the sugar cravings back up and let your spirits float. A good night’s rest can do wonders for your body too.
Consult A Dietitian
If you have given up, then do not despair. Go ahead and consult a dietician who can show you the ay. Be smart and snack according to what your dietician says, and if possible, get recipes to help you get started.
Once you have put yourself in the bandwagon there is no stopping the health streak. But ease up and relax once in a while. And let go of your inhibitions, and indulge in a few tastes of sugar which is good for you in limited quantities.
Do you know, some terms on your credit report can actually make you a bad credit person? This means, you might be seen as a person who cannot be relied upon to be given credit to. This can actually affect business and people, and demolish goodwill.
Credit Reports at a Glance
Credit history deals with the record of the amount of borrowing and other such loans a person or company takes from a bank/credit card group, and how good/bad he was at repaying the dues in time. If you have a history of late payments then you should be prepared to get a bad score and refusals from banks.
Generally, these reports depend on the following:
• Control your debt. Just because you can spend does not mean you have to. Lower your cost.
• Amount paid. Let’s say you have a late game you play with your credit card payments. This would reflect on your statement.
• Re-Age. You can re-age your credit card by making a fresh start on an existing account.
• How stable are you? Bankers prefer people who are stable and have a long credit history.
• Outstanding money. Do not go over the top on your credit limit. Remember, you cannot pay over your means.
What are Negative Items?
There are certain things that would lower your chances of getting a new loan, like:
• Debts in credit card, any kind of foreclosures or repossessions or problems like paid tax liens and bankruptcies.
• Liquidation stays in your report for a long time.
• If you haven’t paid your tax liens then that stays in your record.
Want Something Done Right? Do It Yourself.
Clean up your act. Stay away from companies which can repair your credit. Actually, these will do nothing but what you can do yourself easily.
Organize Your Credit
Think of all the things you can and will get and want to get from the card, and dole out enough cash to cover them. Remember, you should be able to streamline your credit and keep it together.
If you know the fault was not yours then you can take it up with your card company. Mistakes happen, and this is no exception, so take enough evidence before you go and accuse. Get yourself a copy of your credit report and highlight the areas which you do not agree to, and then contact the bank or card company. Talk to them and write a letter to them, to which add necessary documents required so that your issue is understood and dealt with.
Keep Track of Your Finances
Remember to keep your finances straightened. You would see that with a strong, watchful gaze, your credit limits shall be kept way under control. You would be able to notice the difference easily, and your economic solvency shall be more fluid. This is how getting rid of a negative item on the report would be good for you.
Your credit score shows your record to put down payments within time, and a low score means that you might not get further loans from creditors, and that can stop you from getting new loans, or re-take a mortgage. To avoid this, change the way creditors see you.
Step 1: Guide Questions
Convince people that you are good credit. You cannot do this until you see some hard facts. So you’re your credit score ready. You will have to convince the companies and banks that you are a sound investment for them, and they would earn profit by giving you money. Remember to ask yourself a good set of questions before facing them, because they would ask you the same.
• What is the current credit score you have?
• Can you give any reason for making your payments later than most people?
• How long is your credit history?
• Is there any outstanding debt to your name? Justify your answer, even if it is a no.
• How many credit accounts do you have in total?
• Have you had a profitable venture in recent days and how feasible are they?
Remember, these questions are really important, because you are assessing your own problem areas as the prospective debtor. If you have more than one credit account, then you have better chances of scoring.
Step 2: Pay Your Credit Card Debt
Remember to pay your credit card debts because that the largest hit of your credit score. You should address it right at first, and what you should do is lower it drastically, by allocating some cash to it. Go down at least 30-35% below your total credit limit. This would not go unnoticed by your company, and they would have faith in you.
Step 3: Be a Responsible Buyer
If you are an impulsive buyer, then you should curb your impulses. They never make you buy good things, and you end up losing quite a bit of money. So before doing some impulsive shopping, ask yourself whether you need it or not. Do not try to get something with your card. Use cash, and pay for what you buy then and there. Try these and get into a good credit rating scene. Paying up on time and reducing credit balance are the best way to regain your credit scores.
Step 4: Customer Loyalty
Do not cancel your cards if you have paid off the debts. Select the best and keep them. Throw away the ones that give you trouble. Keep them with you, and remember, the longer you hold one, your credit score would be higher and stronger.
Step 5: Bury Your Negative Credit History in the Past, Literally
Start buying little things, and pay for them out of your card, but keep equal amount of cash in the bank to pay for them as soon as the month is over. This would zoom up your bad credit scores instantly.
Step 6: Disputes and Settlements
Settle the problems you might have had with one or more of your old debts. Talk to the people if you think you have been dealt with too harsh, and make them aware of your dislike of it. You would see that the creditors would respond and sort things out. Be reasonable, do not be negative, and be scrupulously polite about it.
A Good Plan Warrants a Good Score
Once you do this, your credit scores would again go up and be restored.